Friday, June 24, 2011

Coming Soon: Winnie the Pooh

The new Winnie the Pooh movie comes out on July 15! This movie has been in the works for some time and it's finally here.


When I watched the trailer for the first time, it made me so nostalgic for my childhood. I was a huge fan of Pooh when I was little. My sisters and I would watch VHS tapes of the Pooh movies all the time. I was Winnie the Pooh for Halloween one year. When I was ten, I still had a Winnie the Pooh border running along the walls in my bedroom. When my family went to Disney World when I was 12, I didn't even bother with Mickey or the princesses. All the souvenirs I bought were Winnie the Pooh: a Pooh Bear t-shirt, an Eeyore key chain, and an alarm clock with all the characters on it. I've read all the original A.A. Milne stories more than once. Needless to say, I am very excited for the film.

I love use of the Keane song "Somewhere Only We Know" in the trailer. If you listen to the lyrics, it fits perfectly.

Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?
Oh simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on

Recently, the only Winnie the Pooh around has been a terrible 3D computer-animated show on Playhouse Disney.


In the trailer it even seems like Disney is acknowledging that they've steered Winnie the Pooh in the wrong direction. There's a title card that says "Back where they belong."

The movie is a return to the original Winnie the Pooh that we all know and love. The hand-drawn animation is fun and whimsical, like it should be.

The early reviews are quite positive. The movie is clearly geared toward children (the running time is just 69 minutes), but I wouldn't mind spending an hour with the Hundred Acre Wood gang. After watching Harry Potter, I'm thinking I'll need something I'll be smiling through rather than crying through.

Are you as excited as I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment